Candidates completing this pathway will earn a Bachelor of Science in Physics, prepare for the Physics CSET subtests, and complete the Single Subject Credential Program in Science.
Science Teaching - BS Physics
|Freshman, Semester 1||Freshman, Semester 2|
|* Attend Credential Program Overview *|
|ENGL 101 (GE 1.B)||3||MATH 150B (Major)||4|
|MATH 150A (Major, GE III.A.1)||4||PHYS 225+L (Major, GE III.A.2a)||4|
|GE Intro to Arts (GE III.B.1)||3||CHEM 120A (Major, GE II.A.2a)||5|
|POSC 100 (GE II.B.2)||3||GE Oral Comm. (GE I.A)||3|
|Total units||13||Total units||16|
|Sophomore, Semester 3||Sophomore, Semester 4|
|* Take CBEST *||PHYS 227+L (Major)||4|
|MATH 250A (Major)||4||PHYS 301 (Major)||3|
|PHYS 226+L (Major)||4||BIO 101 (GE II.A.2c)||3|
|GE American History (GE II.B.1)||3||HIST 110B (GE II.A)||3|
|HIST 110A (GE II.A)||3||GE Critical Thinking (GE I.C)||3|
|Total units||14||Total units||16|
|Junior, Semester 5||Junior, Semester 6|
|* Take EWP *|
|PHYS 300 (Major)||3||PHYS 310 (Major)||3|
|PHYS 380 (Major)||3||PHYS 320 (Major)||4|
|GE Intro to Social Science (GE III.C.1)||3||GE 300 level course (GE III.B.3)||3|
|GE Intro to Humanities (GE III.B.2)||3||EDSC 310 (Cred. Prog. Prereq.)||3|
|ENGL 301 (Major)||3||EDSC 304 (Cred Prog.)3||3|
|Total units||15||Total units||16|
|Senior, Semester 7||Senior, Semester 8|
* File Grad Check, take CSET Subtests4 *
|* Apply to Credential Program *|
|PHYS 330 (Major)||4||PHYS 481 or 482, Adv Lab||3|
|PHYS 340 (Major)||4||UD Physics Electives (Major)||6|
|GE 300 level course with * (GE III.C.2)||3||UD Science & Eng. Elective||3|
|EDSC 320 (GE IV, Cred. Prog. Prereq.)||3||EDSC 330 (Cred. Prog. Prereq.)||3|
|UD Physics Elective (Major)||3||EDSC 340 (Cred. Prog. Prereq.)||3|
|Total units||17||Total units||18|
|* Conduct Job Search *|
|EDSC 410 Teach English Learners1||3|
|EDSC 400 Internship Preparation2||3|
|Semester 9 (Fall if Professional Track)|
|* Employed as new teacher *|
|EDSC 440 S/F Seminar & Fieldwork||6|
|SCED 442 Science Teaching Methods||3|
|SCED 449E Student Teaching||3|
|Semester 10 (Spring if Professional Track)|
|* Employed as new teacher *|
|SCED 449I Student Teaching||10|
|SCED 449S Student Teaching Seminar||3|
|EDSC 460 TPA||3|
- A grade of “C” (2.0) or better required for major classes.
- The summer semester is required for Professional Track only.
- Class starred with footnote1 may be completed earlier in academic program. EDSC 304, 310, 320, 330, 340, and 410 are available fall, spring, summer, and intersession in Web and traditional formats.
- Class with footnote2 is only required for Professional Track candidates.
- Class with footnote3 may be substituted with successful passage of CSET Subtests I (133) & II (134).
Footnote 4: CSET (www.cset.nesinc.com) Science Subtests - two options for Physics Credential:
- Physics Regular Credential (recommended): #118 Subtest I General Science, #119 Subtest II General Science, and #123 Subtest III Concentration Physics
- Physics Specialized Credential: #123 Subtest III Concentration Physics and #127 Subtest IV Specialization Physics
- This plan is intended to be a sample only. It should not replace early and frequent consultation with an advisor as requirements are subject to change.