INSTRUCTOR: Dr. Fearn
TEXT: "Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei and Particles" by, R. Eisberg and R. Resnick.
For further reading I would recommend "Introduction to Special Relativity", by R. Resnick. "Introduction to the structure of matter, A course in modern physics", J.J. Brehm and W. J. Mullin. Feynmans lectures on physics vol III might also be useful.
There will be two midterm and a final exam, the midterms are worth 20% and the final worth 40%. Problems will be assigned on a regular basis and will be taken from the book and hand out problems. Each assignment will be given to you in xerox form. Problems are worth 20%.
No makeups for the final (only for EXTREME EMERGENCY). Show up for exams even if you are late, every effort will be made to give you the full time, but I will not guarantee that. The lowest problem sheet score will be dropped. No show for an exam without prior notification will be graded as a zero.
1. Special Relativity including electrodynamics
2. Blackbody radiation, photoeffect and Compton effect
3. Rutherford Scattering, Bohr model, Atomic spectra, Correspondance principle
4. Simple 1D problems, barriers and simple harmonic oscillator
5. Hydrogen atom
6. Magnetic dipole moments, angular momentum,spin, selection rules
7. Time permitting; Nuclear models, liquid drop, Fermi gas and shell model.
8. Time permitting; Intro to elementary particle physics